Wednesday 29 April 2015

Mon 28 Apr 2014: Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy start

So, the wait is over. Secretly I am dreading this next phase.  You see so many really tired and poorly looking people on chemo/radio.  And I suspected that I'd become the next victim.  The hospital were good at explaining but there was a a distinct lack of written instruction.  And when you are being bombarded with useful information, it's impossible to remember everything, and it's awkward writing it all down.  I ended up having a late evening call with Dr Lewis, my consultant, to give my views.  She was dismayed to hear what I had been told to be honest, and wanted to go and speak with the member of staff concerned!  I don't think they work there anymore!!

We head in to the Freeman Hospital again, a journey I already know quite well.  I have a complete list of  every appointment for the rest of the year, which is to the minute!  It's a shame I don't have them anymore as they kept changing them and reprinting the remainder, and after the first 5 times I stopped keeping them!

I had to go and collect my chemo tablets for the first 3 weeks of treatment, which consisted of the poison (aka Temozolmide) and some cheap anti-sickness drug.  They said to take the Temo and hour before anticipated treatment time, and the anti-sickness as needed.  Well I did think I would need it so I popped the Temo and went for my first zap.  The shell was there, and it all went rather well, I thought!  Little did I know that 5 hours later I would be honking up like a ... Chemo victim!  It was one of the nastiest experiences of the treatment and I am thinking "6 weeks of this! No!!!"

We'd come home from the hospital and I felt fine.  We gone via the bakers for a couple of pasties and a muffin. Delicious.  Then I had been and done some work on the computer, nothing too taxing.  But then it came upon me.  I remember saying to Pam that I felt a bit sick, and we agreed that I should maybe have one of the anti-sickness drugs.  Well it didn't even get to my stomach and I was violently sick several times.  It always amazes me how fast food digests in your stomach, enough said...

The only positive thing was that after about 5 hours it had all passed and I felt pretty normal again.  Until tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment