Saturday 11 April 2015

Mon 7 Apr 2014: The Mould Room

Well I think I went in to the Freeman at least once before this appointment but this on sticks in my mind massively.  It was pretty scary really although I was absolutely fine with it, as it turned out.  The process lasts 3 days and starts with an appointment to make a plaster cast model of the back of your head.  It takes about 15 minutes and involves grease, rubber and warm plaster of Paris strips.  The technician makes you sit in a chair and had obviously done lots of these.  He made a possibly traumatic experience quite good fun, and I was grateful for that.

Ready for action

Back shell setting

After the cast is set the technician pulls it of fairly forcibly and that is it for the day, apart from a good clean down.  They busy away for the rest of the day make a positive from this negative cast from which they produce a heat shrink style back shell for your head.  That was the easy bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment