Saturday 28 March 2015

Sun 23 to Sun 30 Mar 2014: Friends are important

It's truly amazing how good your friends are when you are ill.  My mother suffered from cancer but didn't want people to know.  I, on the other hand, could hardly hide the 6" scar on my head and the distinct lack of hair!  But I didn't mind, as I wanted people to know.  It helped me deal with things.



All my work colleagues were amazing and clubbed together to buy me a couple of really useful things.  First off was a Kindle full of books, followed quickly by a wireless hard drive loaded with films.  Great presents to get when you have long days to fill.  I was so thankful to them all.

I had a steady stream of visitors, and I apologise massively if I miss anyone out - there were so many of you!

Barry, my co-director and his with Lorraine came over a few times.  Lorraine was pretty shocked to hear the diagnosis and I think Barry may have been a little short on detail when telling her!  Richard G popped over to watch a Grand Prix with me, and also came to see me another time too.  Bryan brought me a curry and some beers (alcoholic and non-alcoholic!!!) on evening.

Chris Humble came over with magazines and books for me (looking back its a shame we hadn't discovered backgammon by then).  Bernice came across with some books and a lighthouse jigsaw (see separate article).  Victoria and Shaun came over one evening for a coffee and cakes.

My dear friend form many years ago, Sue Doberman and her husband Stephen also came to see me after a couple of cancelled attempts due to illness.  Another couple of great friends, Julie and James popped in a few times for coffee on their way home from work.

And then there were all the calls from old university friends as the news spread.  First Andy, who later came up to visit, followed by Shanagh and Annette.  It was so good to hear from them all.  One of my best buddies, Stu, who came to visit on the day I left hospital, also stayed in constant touch.  And another great mate, a Robin, sent me a book and regular calls to keep in touch (generally on Fridays).

Each and everyone played their part I keeping me positive and upbeat.  I will never be able to thanks them all enough.

Later, during my recovery, I went out with Kevin from work for a few beers and a general catch up.

Then, of course, there were all the neighbours in the street.  Starting with Paul at number 4, who had lost his young wife to a brain tumour 6 years previously.  He was a great person to discuss details with and, being a house-husband, he was generally around so I'd see him most days out and about.  The new chap at number 5 was really friendly, and again, I saw him a lot as he worked shifts and was building his own extension so was generally around during the days.  Tina and Pual at number 7, Bill at number 2, and everyone else in our bit of The Copse, were supportive and generally really helpful.

I had loads of cards and good wishes throughout the first few weeks of recovery, and it took me all my time to keep in touch with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment