Thursday 5 March 2015

Thu 6 Mar 2014: Biopsy or home?

I had an ok night on the ward.  The diagnosis isn't great, but at least I feel I know what it is, have been fully checked for other cancer sites, and generally given a once over!  The doctors seem to be worrie about my loss of weight! I am delighted as I have been trying to slim down for ages!!



Lots of nursing staff came to see me today.  They can't decide if a biopsy is a good idea or not?  In the end, to my slight surprise, they decide against it as they don't want to disturb it.  The plan is for a full removal as soon as possible!

All of which means I am free to go home, which is extremely unexpected, but also, extremely welcome.  When Pam comes in at lunchtime I am still waiting to be discharged and there is a delay on my drugs.  We wait for an hour at least and still nothing, and the nursing team seem too busy to go and sort them out.  By mid afternoon we have to give up the wait and go home without the drugs I need.  One of the nurses lives nearby and she offers to drop them off.

It's wired leaving, even though I've only been in 4 days.  You become institutionalised very quickly and live by the strict mealtime regime.  Outside air smells different somehow.  It's almost as if spring has sprung whilst I've been in the rarified air of the hospital.  But it smells good.  Which is more than can be said for the taste of food!  The steroids I am on make food taste strange, but more of that later.

At home I relax but it is anything but quiet.  The kids are heading off to Sweden to go to Melodifestivln, which is their Song For Europe competition, first thing in the morning.  It's a very early start and complicated by the arrangements for printing tickets for flights and concert entry, because our printer has run out of ink!  We end up heading off to the office fairly late on, to print them there, and I go for the ride out (I will tell you about driving in another article - it's worth the read I promise).  I decide not to go in to the office.  Not really sure why.  It turns out to be a good decision as I am not really dressed to meet people and one of my Memebership of staff also arrives unexpectedly.  I hide in the car!!!

Eventually, we come back home and go to bed... Pam has to be up in 5 hours to take the kids to the station as they are flying from Stansted.

No comments:

Post a Comment