Tuesday 3 March 2015

Tues 4 Mar 2014: Bombshell

So I have been attempting to retell the events of my illness as they happened, exactly one year on.  And today was a big, big day.  Today we found out the bad news!

Having spent the morning having a detailed MRI scan of my head, Pam had come in to visit me in the afternoon.  We were just sitting chatting when the doctor came through and said something like "you know we are treating this as a tumour now don't you".  Pam may not have known much about the suspected abscess, but she knew about tumours.  They meant cancer!!

Pam has amazing through the journey, but totally understandably, she dissolved.  I will always remember that moment.  The moment that the bombshell is dropped.  The moment that makes an indelible mark in your memory.  Personally I was ok.  I just rationalised it along the lines that it was what it was and couldn't be changed.

We did get taken for a more in depth chat with the A&E consultant, before being moved again, this time to a proper ward.  It was on that ward that I met Brian and Dave, a pair of bus drivers suffering from eczema like I have never seen before.  They were jovial chaps and we laughed and chatted as we watched TV in the day room.  It wasn't until quite late at night that I dropped my bombshell on them.  They'd assumed I must have a similar problem to them, so when I said I had a brain tumour you could have knocked them down with a feather; and they were big bus drivers!  After the shock, they soon returned to their usual banter, and were a brilliant couple of companions for the 2 days I was there.

So I have been officially admitted and have my wrist band to prove it.  I wasn't going home for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment