Wednesday 18 March 2015

Sun 16 Mar 2014: You must have fallen over!

"You must have fallen over" is what the nurse said to me when she came to help me after my shower!  Yes, I was finally now free of all tubes and wires, and was offered a shower.  What hair I had left was sticking to my head and I was desperate to freshen up.  Trouble was HDU doesn't have showers for patients as they don't expect you to get out of bed, so we had a short walk out of the unit, to find a shower.  I think it was officially a female toilet but frankly I didn't care.  The nurse insisted that I sat down on the plastic chair which I did.  She offered to help wash my back but I was fine so she went to wait outside.  After about 10 minutes the nurse came back in, just as I became aware of a dark patch under my left eye!  I asked the nurse if I had a black eye and she took a look and said that I had.  "Did you fall over and bang it? You must have fallen!!"  I had been sitting the whole time and clearly hadn't fallen, or banged it in any way.  I got dry and went back to the HDU, where a doctor had a look.  He didn't seem very interested but I had a huge egg on my temple and a massive purple eye!  Combined with the 27 staples in my head I looked like Frankenstein's monster.  The doctor may not have been interested but I was mildly concerned!!!

I was expecting a bigger plaster! The purple eye and subsiding egg!


The nurses found me a toothbrush so I could clean my teeth and I think they found my bag from the ward so I could have a shave.  All in all I felt like a new man... With a funny looking head!!

Earlier that morning I remember watching the F1 from Australia on "my" TV, but with the sound on very low as it was 6am!  It was the start of the new engine rules and reliability was expected to be an issue, but most cars finished, with Rosberg picking up his first win of the season.  I think Hamilton retired although I'm not sure on that.

The rest of the day was pretty dull really.  I spent most of it sitting in my chair, reading and eating!  Pam came to visit again and we discussed my unexpected eye situation.  The egg had subsided a lot which was good but the eye looked set for a while!  I was also fitted with automatic leg squeezers which are quite a contraption, in readiness for my move to the ward.  It was looking unlikely again, but at around 6pm something must have changed and there was a private room free and with my name on it!  I was moved fairly suddenly, and Pam was there to help me with all my clobber!  My private room was nice, but I preferred the ward environment as there ws more to watch!  But at least it was peaceful and after the usual carry on with medications I settled down for an early night, leg squeezers still attached!!

Here is a photo of me and my daughter Jordan which I really love!

No comments:

Post a Comment