Sunday 8 March 2015

Sat 8 Mar 2014: First meeting

It's perhaps not the best time to meet your fathers new lady friend when he comes to visit you following the unexpected news.  But that's how it was as they'd been in the Lake District walking, and had decided to detour over to Newcastle before heading south.

I didn't know a lot about Sue before she arrived with my Dad, but she turned out to be absolutely lovely and so easy to get along with.  It must have been a bit awkward for her too, but she handled it all very well.

Obviously, the main thing we did was talk about the diagnosis and plans for surgery etc.  We also had lunch in our sun room which was the usual "bread and spreads" affair.  There are some habits which die hard and that is a Crerar thing for sure.

They didn't stay too long as they still got a 300 miles journey to do.  I have to admit that it was a little strange saying goodbye, but, nor being one for too much emotion, my Dad dealt with it very practically and off they went.  I wondered if I would see them again, which I guess was a natural reaction.  I am pleased to say that we have seem them several other times in the following months - it's odd how bad news does so much good in other ways!!



No comments:

Post a Comment